Monday, December 28, 2009

Week 12, Project 365

Time for Project 365, hosted by the inimitable Sara. It was tough choosing which photos to share this week. I had so many good ones! In the end, I narrowed it down to ten I just have to post.

On Monday we made the trek into Cordoba, the provincial capital. This is a drive-by shooting of Patio Olmos, a very nice mall in the heart of the city. Originally it was a school. My language tutor remembers her grandma talking about attending grade school there. Anyway, it's been converted into a mall and is a fun place to hang out, shop, eat in the food court or relax in the outdoor cafe you see here. Quite the edifice, isn't it?!
We walked a lot in the downtown area, window shopping and just enjoying the sights and sounds of the city. We find the juxtaposition of really old and modern side-by-side interesting.
Okay, back to Carlos Paz and the new section of costanera that recently opened. Reminds us of Miami in a way. It's very beautiful but the view is marred by the stink...the sewage treatment plant is across the street. And we know how I am about smells these days! And really, who wants their olfactory sense assaulted while taking a nice walk along the shore?
I had never seen a real live fig tree before we moved here. Actually until recently I'd never eaten a fresh fig. While growing up, the only figs in my house were jellied and found in packaging labeled Fig Newtons.
There's a certain little girl who will be born on Monday (planned c-section) to good friends and her quilt is not finished yet. I did make some progress this week, finishing the blocks and piecing them together with sashing. I still have to add a border and then quilt it. Hopefully it'll be ready before she's a year old.

The remaining photos are from our Day In The Country. We packed up a picnic lunch, the lawn chairs, books and hammock and "headed for the hills" on Friday. It was a WONDERFUL day! Very relaxing, beautiful scenery, the sun was shining, there was a slight breeze...the day could not have been more perfect. P.S. A few of you asked about my haircut. Very, very short! That's how I like it. I'm high maintenance in a lot of areas, but my hair isn't one of them.

The hubby said the Indians would grind their grain on these large flat rock croppings. You can see the circular spots where they worked. I have an active imagination and enjoy thinking about what the people were like; did they live there all the time or did they go up and down the mountains with the seasons? What grains did they grow? Were their homes along the creek or set back in the woods? How long did it take for them to wear these patterns into the stone?
Here's one of many photos of the creek by the picnic area. How peaceful and serene is that?!
The folks who live here and maintain the park have a few dogs. This one attached itself to us and spent the day following us around... and protecting us from big, bad, ferocious horses like this one. Did I mention the day could not have been more perfect?!

Last, but certainly not least, THANKS to ALL who responded to my cry for help in de-stinkifying my fridge. Y'all totally came through with some great ideas that are going in my mental rolodex of household tips. The hubby's efforts on Thursday were for naught, because when I opened the door on Friday morning? Yuck! So we took absolutely everything out, popped in some charcoal with newspaper (thanks Mari for that idea!) and then went through every.single.little.item that had been in the fridge. We found two potential problems but we think the big culprit was the Brie. Which was packaged but apparently not well. I had placed the unopened package of Brie into a ziplock but when I unzipped it, the stench was putrid. *gag* So it would appear the Ziplock minimized but didn't stop the smell from invading my fridge. I am SO HAPPY to report that when I opened the fridge door this morning...nothing. Absolutely nothing. No smell whatsoever. Isn't that wonderful?!

No comments:

Post a Comment